Collections Manager | Southampton, Hampshire
Reports to: Operations Director
Salary: Negotiable, depending on experience
Hours: Full Time – 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
Based: Southampton, Hampshire
Purpose of role
The primary responsibility of a Collections Manager is the effective day-to-day management of a team of Collections Advisors and Verifications Advisors, ensuring our range of award-winning debt collection services are delivered to the highest levels of quality and efficiency.
In addition to effectively managing the team’s workloads and meeting personal and team targets – providing operational support, direction and training throughout – the Collections Manager will manage a portfolio of instructions across some of the company’s key collections and verifications products.
- Management of a team of Collections Advisors and Verifications Advisors; managing workloads, prioritising work and increasing efficiency to meet business targets and team Key Performance Indicators.
- Management of a portfolio of collections instructions across multiple products and markets, including insolvency, invoice discounting / factoring, corporate & SME debt recovery, early arrears collections, outsourced credit control & verifications.
- Ownership of higher profile live debtor accounts.
- Mentor, develop, grow and train your team to ensure that they fulfil their responsibilities confidently, effectively and accurately.
- Resolve collections issues, disputes, complaints and queries.
- Liaise with potential and existing clients, providing support for sales acquisition and account management, including reporting.
- Develop and maintain personal development plans for your team, including monthly 1-2-1’s and quality reviews (individual and team).
- Ensure that work is performed and completed to the highest quality.
- Ensure your team achieves targets and provide regular updates to them on changes to processes and regulation.
- Facilitate and record escalations to the Operations Director.
- Manage all HR aspects for direct reporting team.
- Reviewing and developing processes to ensure they are standardised and streamlined to maximise efficiencies.
- Ensure that the work performed by the collections team is completed to the highest quality.
- Liaise with other teams and managers.
- Provide direct support and assistance to the Operations Director.
Role within the management system
This is an operational role within the collections team of Hilton-Baird Collection Services and the role reports directly to the Operations Director.
Education and experience
The candidate will be well educated and preferably hold business or accountancy-based professional qualifications, though this is not essential. The candidate should be educated to GCSE standard or above.
The candidate will also have sound knowledge of most of our areas of expertise: Insolvency, Invoice Discounting / Factoring, Corporate & SME Debt Recovery, Early Arrears Collections, Credit Control & Verifications, preferably with a focus on Invoice Discounting. Ideally, although not essential, the candidate will have at least 10 years’ experience in the Invoice Finance / ABL sector.
Good knowledge from a hands-on collections and/or recoveries background is essential.
- Excellent communication skills and telephone manner
- Able to communicate in a professional and articulate manner
- High level of attention to detail
- Computer proficiency – Word, Excel, Outlook and Sage or a similar accounts system
- Proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to work on their own initiative and as part of a team
- Hard worker
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to work under pressure and to set timescales
- Self-motivated, adaptable, dynamic and ambitious
- Able to demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop
- Able to lead and develop a team
What we offer
- A vibrant, enjoyable and committed workplace
- Access to professional and industry-recognised qualifications
- Competitive salary and discretionary profit and performance-related bonus
- Excellent benefits package, including Health Insurance and Life Assurance benefits after 12 months of service
- 25 days holiday (excluding bank holidays)
About Hilton-Baird Collection Services
Established in 2001, Hilton-Baird Collection Services is an award-winning and FCA-regulated commercial debt collection agency which provides confidential credit control and outsourced debt recovery solutions to businesses, lenders and Insolvency Practitioners. Based in Southampton and two-time winners of the Third Party Debt Collection Team of the Year award at the CICM British Credit Awards, the company is a family-run business and part of the wider Hilton-Baird Group, which employs more than 70 staff.
How to apply
To apply for this position please email firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and covering letter, stating clearly which role you are interested in.