Collections Advisor | Remote / Hybrid working from Southampton office
Reports to: Collections Manager
Salary: £21,000-£30,000 p.a. (Dependent on Experience)
Hours: Full Time – 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
Based: Hybrid/remote working (Office is in Southampton, Hampshire)
Purpose of role
We’re looking for Collections Advisors to join our growing team and work across all areas of our product portfolio.
The Collections Advisor will be responsible for recovering money on behalf of our valued SME, corporate, lender and insolvency clients in the most timely, compliant and efficient manner.
They will also be responsible for meeting personal and team targets and always ensuring that the highest levels of quality and professionalism are maintained at all times.
- Take ownership and be responsible for a portfolio of live, current and overdue debit balance customer accounts, making 50-80 calls per day
- Obtain payment, resolve queries/disputes and, where appropriate, agree payment plans in a timely and satisfactory manner
- Manage own workload and prioritise work to meet business targets and team KPIs
- Liaise with clients and provide updates on customer accounts
- Maintain quality and professionalism whist accurately controlling ledgers
- Through day-to-day activity, make recommendations to departmental processes to ensure that customers are processed through the collections process as smoothly as possible
- Perform against targets individually whilst contributing to the overall productivity of the team
- Facilitate and record escalations and issues outside the standard processes to the Collections Manager
- Any duty you may be asked to perform as part of a special project
Role within the management system
This is an operational role within the collections team of Hilton-Baird Collection Services and the role reports directly to the Collections Manager, working alongside a positive and energetic team of Collections Advisors.
Education and experience
The candidate will be well educated and preferably hold business or accountancy-based professional qualifications. The candidate should be educated to GCSE standard or above.
The candidate will display a sound knowledge of all aspects of credit control. Good knowledge from a hands-on collections background is essential.
Typically, the candidate would have some practical experience within a successful credit control or collections department. Previous roles could include external credit controlling exposure. Whilst not essential, experience of legal collections would be preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and telephone manner
- Able to communicate in a professional and articulate manner
- High level of attention to detail
- Computer proficiency – Word, Excel, Outlook and Sage or a similar accounts system
- Proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to work on their own initiative and as part of a team
- Hard working, punctual and reliable
- Able to work under pressure and to set timescales
- Self-motivated, adaptable, dynamic and ambitious
- Able to demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop
What we offer
- Motivated, fast-paced and dynamic working environment
- Hybrid and remote working opportunities
- Quarterly and annual team social events
- Competitive salary and discretionary profit and performance-related bonus
- Benefits including Health Insurance and Life Assurance after 12 months of service
- Access to professional and industry-recognised qualifications
- 25 days’ holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- Ongoing training and personal development
About Hilton-Baird Collection Services
Established in 2001, Hilton-Baird Collection Services is an award-winning commercial debt collection agency which provides confidential credit control and outsourced debt recovery solutions to businesses, lenders and Insolvency Practitioners. Based in Southampton, Hampshire, the company is a family-run business and part of the wider Hilton-Baird Group, which employs more than 40 staff.